In the fields of medical equipment, electro magnetic interference (EMI) between several medical devices may be life threatening. Schaffner, the market leader in EMC filters and power quality devices, has consistently extended its proven IEC Inlet family with single- and dual stage IEC inlet filter adapted to the market needs and, especially when it comes to human lifes, is keen on constantly improving the state of the art of interference suppression of devices for medical application.
Why Schaffner Focuses on EMC Products for Medical Solutions
- Electrification and number of electronic medical devices in hospitals is rising
- High power installations like in robot-aided surgery or X-ray systems are used close to imaging diagnostics
- Electro magnetic compatibility is therefore more and more important
There are several product families dedicated to the use in medical market. The main benefits are high performance of core material under restrictions of leakage currents.
Download here all information about the challenging requirements for medical equipment and Schaffner’s EMC solutions:
Filter Series FN92xx (B type)
Filters like FN9262, FN9255 or FN9280/90 enable customers to find a high performance variation for any customer need.
- The B versions of FN92xx series with minimal leakage currents of 100 uA max. meet the requirements of the medical standards IEC/EN 60601 for equipment with patient contact or other medical environments.
- The single-stage filter series with additional earth line choke for the suppression of EMI noise on ground loops can optionally be delivered as standard version (E type) or reduced leakage current version (B type).
- The FN92xx series are designed for currents of 1 to 20 A up to 250 VAC, 50/60Hz. Detailed information on MOP (Means of protection) is available in the datasheets (free download below) or in adjacent approval documentation of the filters.
Schaffner is keen to announce that we are able to support even highest demanding Class II applications with an upcoming product.
The filter which can be used in 2 MOPP (means of patient protection) surroundings incorporates a very high attenuation performance in a fully isolated plastic housing. The product FN9274B is available without earth connection based on C17/C18 combination of cable and inlet.
Not only our filtered IEC inlets can be used for emc compliance in medical environment, also chassis mount filters for higher power rating or high attenuation performance demands can be used as medical device filters.
Download here the Free Data Sheets
Click on the product number below to download the free data sheets:
All standard filters of Schaffner offer a reduced leakage current version which is denoted by different letters (for new filters different coding) in addition to the already known FN part designation.
Those versions are available on request in addition to our usual filters, main benefit is the certification which is already in place for all versions (click here to download our Declaration of Conformity)
Customers can therefore easily integrate and use our filters in their systems, without loosing time for additional approvals of the filters.
Due to high demand of IEC inlets and Schaffner’s expertise in manufacturing and design of such inlets, we are able to provide a high variety of possible inlets without a filter.
All are available for front, rear and snap mounting, including the following standards according to IEC 60320/UL 60320-1:
- C14, C16 and C18 suitable for general purpose applications up to 10A acc. to IEC 60320 and up to 15A acc. to UL 60320-1
- C20 suitable for general purpose applications up to 16A acc. to IEC 60320 and up to 20A acc. to UL 60320-1
C14 version including various other features like fuse holder, switch, voltage selector or combination of all are also available.
For integrated EMI performance solutions Schaffner offers a wide variety of chokes. Building up an own EMI filter based on chokes gives the customer freedom to design the EMI filter in accordance to the performance-to-leakage-current specifications from the scratch.
- Chokes for PCB mounting are available from 0.25A up to 50A.
Samples are available on request or can be ordered through our worldwide distribution network.